Friday, January 11, 2008

Lovely Intangibles

I know Christmas is over... but I wanted to remind myself of the truth of this little exchange from one of my favorite movies... Miracle on 34th Street
(my apologies for the formatting, can't quite figure that out, yet)


FRED
Faith is believing in things when
common sense tells you not to. It's
not just Kris that's on trial. It's
everything he stands for. It's
kindness, joy, love, and all the
other intangibles.

DORIS
Fred,you're talking like a child.
You're livingin a realistic world!
Those lovely intangibles aren't worth much.
You don't get ahead that way.

FRED
That all depends on what you call getting ahead. Evidently, we have different definitions.

DORIS
We've talked about some wonderful plans.
Then you go on an idealistic binge.
You give up your job,throw away your security...and then you expect me to be happy about it!

FRED
Yes, I guess I expected too much. Someday, you're going to find out that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work.
And when you do, don't overlook those lovely
intangibles. You'll discover they're the
only things that are worthwhile.

No comments: