Monday, May 5, 2008

62 1/8

That's how many pages the pilot is now. And I'm not making up the 1/8 thing. When you break down a script for production, you measure the pages by eighths. So there. That's (nearly) 25 pages cut from the script, almost a third. (Can you tell I'm proud of myself?) I tried not to cut out the good parts, but I did have to kill some babies.

That's another show biz (tm) term. When you're trying to trim pages or minutes from your script or movie, there are those scenes that you just love, or maybe it's just a few lines of dialogue. They're fabulous, they show how witty and talented you are as a filmmaker, but they aren't absolutely necessary to the story. You love them, yes, hence, they are your babies. But in order for the script or the film to be a reasonable length, they must go, you must kill them. And it's painful, but... (see "Beauty Saloon"). If it was easy, it'd be called, oh, I don't know, management consulting?

On the other hand, we do tend to make more of a drama out of things like this than is merited by our relative impact on the well being of others.

It's easy, after all, not to be a writer. Most people aren't writers, and very little harm comes to them.
-Julian Barnes, Flaubert's Parrot

1 comment:

R and J On The Road said...

I just got caught up after not checking since April. I'm once again reminded of your incredible gift and the wisdom that enables you to express with such clarity who you are, where you are and where you are going. Although it may not always seem as obvious to you, your writing truly reflects an internal grounding and a sense of balance that are the source of the strength, fortitude and energy necessary to continue pursuing your dream. I couldn't be more proud!

Dad